BoneSnapper.com

It is currently November 24th, 2014, 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 18th, 2012, 3:17 pm 
King of all Vag

Bellator Fighting Championships CEO Bjorn Rebney now knows what he is up against regarding the UFC’s courtship of Hector Lombard.

The Chicago-based promotion’s founder told Sherdog.com on Wednesday that he recently received a copy of the UFC’s proposed contract to Lombard and will soon make a determination on whether to re-sign the heavy-handed southpaw.

“We’ve received the final proposed UFC agreement from Hector’s attorney, and right now we are in the process of reviewing it to determine whether we’re going to match the agreement,” Rebney told Sherdog.com on Wednesday morning. “We’ve got the 60 pages of UFC contract that were forwarded to us by Hector’s counsel. We’ve been waiting on the actual contract itself to see all of the specifics and every conceivable detail and know exactly what is being offered. Now we have something really specific to look at.”
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Bellat ... Come-41965
Bellator CEO Rebney: Hector Lombard Offered UFC Deal, Contract Decision Soon to Come

Bellator’s reigning 185-pound champion, Lombard has looked unstoppable during his three years with Rebney’s organization, winning the company’s inaugural middleweight tournament and posting a perfect 8-0 promotional record since his 2009 debut. Lombard’s contract expired earlier this year and the fighter is currently in a period where he may openly negotiate with rival promotions. However, Lombard is not an unrestricted free agent, as Bellator still has the right to match any competing offer.

“The reality is that Hector is going to do extremely well whether he is fighting in the Octagon or the Bellator circle, and I think everybody knew that. He’s one of the best middleweights on the face of the earth,” Rebney said. “He hasn’t fought in a long time, and he had to wait through these periods contractually to get to a point where he could go out and seek an offer from a competing organization.”

While Bellator still has a period to match the UFC’s offer, Rebney has no desire to drag out the negotiations. Instead, he says that the promotion will make a determination soon to avoid stringing the fighter along.

“Out of respect for Hector, I think we will turn [the UFC contract] around very quickly,” said Rebney. “Obviously, we have a huge event coming up Friday [Bellator 66]. As soon as that is over, we will sit down with our partners and go through the UFC contract line-for-line and make a strategic decision whether we’re going to match it or pass. [If we pass, we will] wish him the best and let him go knock out everybody in the UFC.”

Lombard signing with the UFC is a good thing for all parties.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2012, 3:55 pm 
Daddy's Home

I've been waiting for this day for some time now...

Let's see what this guy can really do.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 7:58 am 

Lombard vs Stann or Munoz

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 9:48 am 

I want Lombard in the UFC. Stann is a great match-up, too.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 2:08 pm 
Daddy's Home

Lombard vs Stann would be a sick fight and would get Lombard right into the title picture if he puts on a great performance or can dominate.

I think Chael would hold him down til he kicked and screamed though.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 2:15 pm 
Resident Know-it-All

If I'm Bjorn I match, no matter what.

Let's say Hector is as good as Bjorn is selling him as, (2nd best middleweight in the world). Belletor would be giving up their one legit top fighter.

Let's say he's not. Bjorn's golden boy goes to the big leagues and struggles against the Stanns and Munozes. Bellator gets labeled as minor league.

There's no good end for Rebney here if Lombard goes.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 2:41 pm 
Daddy's Home

I don't know if I agree Brian. I guess it would depend on what the UFC was willing to pay for Lombard.

If you are Bellator and don't have many matchups for him anyways, why pay for a "legit" fighter if they are not really a draw?

I like Bellator's format for this kind of situation and this will just leave an vacant title for another future hopeful star to fill.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 3:37 pm 

Brian wrote:

Let's say Hector is as good as Bjorn is selling him as, (2nd best middleweight in the world). Belletor would be giving up their one legit top fighter.

Let's say he's not. Bjorn's golden boy goes to the big leagues and struggles against the Stanns and Munozes. Bellator gets labeled as minor league.

I don't know. I don't see Lombard being a "draw" and what he does post Bellator probably means little. Bellator runs consistent tourneys and the champs don't enter them, and all Lombard has on the horizon is a rematch with Schlemenko. If he leaves, they will have people fighting for the vacant title.

Bellator's golden child is the smaller weight classes, and the tourney format. I watch ALL Bellator and I don't think the loss of Lombard means much.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2012, 7:17 pm 
Daddy's Home

With the Chael/Anderson rematch coming up, I'm really hoping that this guy signs and gets in that title picture...

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2012, 7:29 pm 
The Commie

Brian wrote:

QFT

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 12:03 pm 
Daddy's Home

If Hector stays in Bellator though...who does he fight?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 4:11 pm 
The Commie

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/4/2 ... -ufc-bound

Hector is UFC bound.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 4:18 pm 

give him Stann. Lets test that chin

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 4:22 pm 
Not Dead

Brian wrote:

Why get in a bidding war? Bellator's biggest fight this past weekend pulled what, 110,000 views whereas the prelims for 145 were in the million mark?

Bellator survives by doing what they are doing right now and accepting that some of their top talent will leave. They need to adapt and put on FUN fights and develop stars.

Lombard is log jamming the division anyway.

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 4:25 pm 
Daddy's Home

mmapunx wrote:
http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/4/24/2972492/bjorn-rebney-confirms-hector-lombard-is-ufc-bound

Hector is UFC bound.

Allright!!! 8-)

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 4:26 pm 
Not Dead

Mike3Goals wrote:
give him Stann. Lets test that chin

What if he gets KTFO? How much did they pay for a monster who is on a huge win streak...only to get crushed.

Jorge Santiago anyone? Kid Yamamoto? Gomi?

I say develop Lombard as a threat, let him get demolished by Silva and make some money off of him, then give him good fights. Joe Rogan isn't selling this guy enough to create a PPV draw and a win over Stann(who says he only wants to move up the ranks) doesn't solidify Lombard as a number 1 contender.

I like Bisping, or Belcher if they want to put him in contention immediately; maybe Phillipou if they want to build him. All stylistically win able fights.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 4:32 pm 
Daddy's Home

Bisping or Stann would make the most sense. Bisping is probably who it will be though, as it's going to probably be a title eliminator. The division is looking bleak right now...

I'd think Weidman will probably face Stann or the winner of Palhares/Belcher. Or Munoz?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 4:57 pm 
Not Dead

xxxVALETUDOxxx wrote:
Bisping or Stann would make the most sense. Bisping is probably who it will be though, as it's going to probably be a title eliminator. The division is looking bleak right now...

I'd think Weidman will probably face Stann or the winner of Palhares/Belcher. Or Munoz?

I like Weidman as a safe match up as well. See, with the MW being so light right now (even with a Sonnen win) why risk the guy losing. Let him win against a respectable opponent (Chris Leben vs A. Silva anyone) then go on to fight for the title.
If he fares well, then you have beefed up 185. If not, he can go on his way in 2 fights.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 5:54 pm 

xxxVALETUDOxxx wrote:

So why not Leben? Big name and on takedowns alone Lombard could win and Leben at least should make it worth watching. I'm a fan of Leben but he is not near a shot and being such a known face he easily gives Lombard credibility. Bisping and Stann both beat Lombard in his debut.

I'm not sure if your last line Vale is hopefully to face Lombard or not but outside of Weidman (not as known as Leben) Lombard doesn't win his debut and that is what the UFC will give him. A winable debut to hype him up in the division.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 6:00 pm 
Daddy's Home

I actually think Weidman could very well just take him down and stylewise make for a lackluster fight and maybe a loss for Hector. My last line was more me just thinking on paper about who was in the division that could boost him right into a title shot....I think....

Leben or Sakara would be a good winnable fight. Phillipuo as well. Cung Le could be fun.

Wand/Vitor winner would be sick as fuck. But if Vitor beats both guys, we are without a challenger.

I agree that it should be a winnable fight because if Anderson beats Chael, the UFC will need a challenger. That's why I think Bisping/Hector would make sense, it gives either instant credibility for a title shot IMO.